Our child counselors utilize play therapy, an effective mental health approach regardless of age, gender or nature of the problem, as a method for children to express themselves in a safe way. The goal of play therapy is for children to learn how to better express themselves, resolve problems and self-advocate. Child counseling is most effective when a parent, family member or caretaker is actively involved in the treatment process.
Clients are often seeking help with:
- Social development and relational skills
- Behavior problems, anger management, emotional self-regulation
- Managing behavior disorders related to anxiety, depression, ADHD, autism or pervasive developmental disorders, physical or learning disabilities and conduct disorder
- Increasing positive communication between parent and child
- Coping with grief and loss, divorce and abandonment, or crisis and trauma
Our counselors who work with teens approach therapy as a collaborative, safe and trusting relationship between client and counselor. As adolescents are developing a sense of self within the family while preparing for adulthood, counseling is a way for adolescents to gain emotional regulation skills while increasing their familial communication and strengthening their sense of self in the world.
Some areas of focus include:
- Recognizing and changing negative patterns of behavior
- Emotional and behavior difficulties related to traumatic life events
- Working toward future social, academic and independence goals
- Support for mental health problems such as anxiety, depression, thoughts of self-harm, or risk-taking behaviors
- Teens experiencing defiant behaviors, not listening and/or arguing with their parents
- Low self-esteem, social isolation
Our counselors are in-network providers for most major health insurance companies, including but not limited to: Aetna, Alliance EAP, First Choice, First Choice EAP, Group Health PPO, LifeSynch EAP, Premera, Regence, United Behavioral Health, Wellspring EAP.
As of June 1st, 2015, Cigna has contracted with Envision Counseling to provide out-of-network benefits at a reduced rate. Please call 206-858-1177 for additional details.