Our therapists who counsel couples view relationship issues as problematic patterns of interaction, not as troubled people needing to be “fixed”.
As an outcome of couples counseling, clients learn to (a) transform negative patterns of interaction embedded in the relationship; (b) communicate to be heard and understood; and (c) sustain a strong sense of self in the relationship. Informed by evidenced-based practices, our therapists are trained in multiple specialized therapeutic approaches, including but not limited to: The Gottman Method, Emotional Focused Therapy and Bowen Couples Therapy. Couples counseling is typically short-term. Areas of focus may include:
- Preparing for marriage or partnering
- Communicating to promote openness, understanding, and intimacy
- Navigating life transitions
- Resolving sexual issues and increasing intimacy
- Reconciling after trauma due to infidelity or loss and grief
- Assessing the relationship or divorce therapy
Our counselors are in-network providers for most major health insurance companies, including but not limited to: Aetna, Cigna, First Choice, Kaiser Permanente, Premera, Regence, and Optum/United Healthcare. Please call 206-858-1177 for additional details.